I’d been working on this on and off for roughly three years. Nearly every step of the project was something I’d never attempted before. Casting, sculpting, weathering. The hardest to overcome was the procrastination, but here it is. Finally!
2016 was an interesting one for me hobby wise. While for a lot of the year I felt like I wasn’t getting much done when I look back I realize I did a whole lot more than I thought.
About a year or so ago we had a little modeling competition here among my gaming group and I managed to win a Stompa kit. Which I quickly stashed away with every intention of building, but which just gathered dust. Part of the reason was that I knew I couldn’t just build the base kit, I simply couldn’t get over the fat guy in a muumuu look that he had going on. So I worked on other things as I gathered ideas to make my custom stompa a reality.
The build is finally done, painting him might take awhile, though.
In building a proper Blood Angel army, one has to always be on the lookout for great looking angel models. Sadly, good stand-ins for these angelic warriors are hard to find. There are custom miniatures aplenty for many of their sibling chapters; Space Wolves and Salamanders are particularly popular. When I came across Scibor Monstrous Miniatures’ Archangel #3 I immediately thought of the Sanguine Angel himself. It’s a sad disservice that Forgeworld has yet to release an official Sanguinius model, but Scibor has handily filled the bloody gap.
I recently finished a squad of Vanguard Veterans to go with the Shadow Captain I completed a few months ago. Like him they are customized a good bit because I wanted a fairly specific look to them.
Haven’t gotten much painting done recently, but I have been working hard on a battlewagon for my orks. Of course, since it’s me I couldn’t just build the standard kit, especially since it’s roughly the same size as my custom trukks. No, I had to go bigger and badder. So, like many before me, I took inspiration from Mad Max and started designing my own custom war rig. I’ve combined a GW Battlewagon kit and a cheap Revell snap-tite kit, along with lots of pieces from my bits box. I’ve actually used about 90 percent of the cheap kit in this build.
It’s not done yet, still needs a fair bit of dakka and some more arm and spiky bits put on, but I’m really happy with how it has been coming along. It’s a huge beast, 22 inches the front of the cab to the rear bumper of the detachable tanker. Will give me multi use of it as a terrain piece in some games.
Hopefully, I’ll have an update in the next few weeks with painted pictures to share.
So I finally finished the Shadow Captain I started back in November. Along the way however he’s gone through a few changes as a result of new models coming. Though I really liked the look I’d come up with, the Blood Angel Chaplain and Dark Fury Forgeworld models both had pieces that I really loved and wanted to add to this guy. As a result, he now sports a new jumpack and lightening claws. I also swapped out one shoulder pad for a more ornate version from Forgeworld.