So I finally finished the Shadow Captain I started back in November. Along the way however he’s gone through a few changes as a result of new models coming. Though I really liked the look I’d come up with, the Blood Angel Chaplain and Dark Fury Forgeworld models both had pieces that I really loved and wanted to add to this guy. As a result, he now sports a new jumpack and lightening claws. I also swapped out one shoulder pad for a more ornate version from Forgeworld.
Been rather radio silent of late, the downside of being an adult is that real life likes to get in the way of fun stuff like building and painting models. Still I’ve recently gotten a project done that was sitting on the shelf collecting dust for quite a while.
I give you the Mega Dread. Not a clue how effective he’ll be on the table, but he will look amazing towering over all my Boyz.
I haven’t finished anything in a few months, I had an extended period of lovely weather that I spent outside and after that I just fell out of the habit of painting every night. I’ve recently been trying to get back to it so I finished some Catachans. I never paint these guys the same way twice, I mostly use them to practice painting different skin tones and ethnicities.
Astorath is one of my favorite Blood Angel models and is one of the models that originally drew me to the army. The black wings, trailing scrolls and the weird Bram Stoker muscle armor combined with the Ozzy Osborn face and the flying overhead axe pose just make for an amazing over the top model. His fluffy insight into the Black Rage and the buffs he gives to the Death Company have left me wanting to field him since I started. The time is finally close at hand too.
Everyone has their own techniques and methods for painting miniatures, and I always find it interesting to see how others like to work. Sharing ideas and different tricks and tips is how we all learn and get better at the hobby. In that vein, and and since I happen to be working on a unit of Ork warbikers I thought I would give a little insight in to my particular process.
I’ve been working steadily on my Sanguinary Priest and its finally time to work on the face. Serendipitously, I found my macro lens for my phone, so we are going to get some extreme closeups. The photos make the surface of the model look a bit gritty, but it’s well within normal.
I always try to paint heads separate from their bodies, just because its easier overall. There is so much detail packed into such a small canvas and it really requires a lot of subtlety. This approach is by no means fast, but it does get results that I am pretty happy with.
I’ve finished some Catachans, this was a troop project so I didn’t do a lot of detail on them, in fact I seldom paint them the same way twice. They look decent but I do these just to relax and because they’re more impressive for their numbers not for the detail.
Since finishing these I’ve been assembling some Blood Angel Assault Terminators, these are beautiful models and I’ll take some time to do a high quality paint job on them. I’ve also assembled some Genestealers from the Space Hulk boxed set, these guys will get my standard Genestealer paint job, nothing exceptional but looks good.
The Baneblade is finished! The differences are subtle from the last update, the lenses and lights are all finished, soot was added to the gun barrels and the exhaust and mud and dirt was added to the tracks and the bottom of the tank.
This tank is my entry into a competition that’ll wrap up with a poll posted in the Warhammer 40k Google + community! We still have until August 3rd before the competition is over so stay tuned to this blog for the other entries!
For those who’d like to see the previous posts on this, they’re linked below, I’ll eventually put together a slideshow of the process as well including colors used and post that to youtube.
Thank you for following along!