Last week I discussed the construction process on my Waaagh!!! Tower. With the basic construction completed, I wasted little time moving on to paint. I left it separated into the three main components of base, drop pod, and upper walkway so I could prime them separately with their base colors.
Now some people like to hand paint primer, others like an airbrush. I rather like Rust-Oleum’s Painter’s Touch spray primer for the purpose. It is thick enough for good even coverage but thin enough that it does not obscure details. As an added plus it comes in dozens of different colors and sheens.
For this project, I used Satin Nutmeg for the base. While the tower got a coating of Glossy Deep Blue with a blast of Flat Canyon Black for the interior and area right around the open doors to create a burnt out effect. The walkway I primed with a Flat Gray and then dry brushed with Pig Iron from the P3 line of model paints.
Once the three components were all dry I started the detailing process. All around the base, I used a mix of Citadel’s Armageddon Dust, Agrellan Earth, and P3’s Beast Hide and Rucksack Tan to create a variety of extra texture effects and variations in the color of the rocks and dirt. I also used the Rucksack Tan to give the effect of dust going over the open Drop Pod doors along with a thin wash of Seraphim Sepia.
The Drop Pod itself I hit with P3’s Quick Silver on all the holes, pits, and various marks I had carved into it. I also dry brushed the same color along any sharp edges. Then I hit all of the same areas with a light dry brushing of Citadel’s Ryza Rust and washed the entire thing in Nul Oil. The interior got a light dry brushing of Pig Iron and then Ryza Rust before also getting a wash.
With the base and the Pod done, I started on the walkway portion. This was the simplest part; I just hit everything with a dry brush of Ryza Rust and then a wash of the Nul Oil.
You may have also noticed that the Tower got two extra parts since my build post. As I was painting it there seemed like something was missing, the metal Waaagh!!! Banner was a no brainer, but even with it, the tower felt like it needed a topper. Enter an extra crow’s nest mounted top. I really think it pulls the whole project together. To close this post out, a few images of the tower with its Green skinned builders.